Friday, May 12, 2006

TRIV - Ghana clothes shopping

This week's Foreign Exchange with Fareed Zakaria (or last week's--I think Link TV gets it a week late from PBS, but our local PBS station doesn't show it at all, so I'm not sure; but that's beside the point) had a segment on Ghana's take on "casual Friday"--namely, the county is trying to encourage people to wear domestically made clothes instead of second-hand imports from Europe and the U.S. The second-hand clothes market is called "Kantamanto." What amused me mildly was the translation--according to the report, it roughly means as "a white man has died."

(I should note--I'm not 100% sure whether this term refers to the practice, or a specific store--a search on the Internet turned up a Christian Science Monitor story that confirmed the basic facts and implied the former. However, it said that "abruni waawu" is "a white man has died." I'm guessing that "abruni waawu" and "kantomanto" have the same meaning in different languages--the news accounts didn't make that completely clear, but end up with the same translation.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home