Saturday, March 11, 2006

TRAV - Kobe beef West Palm Beach style

My dad and I were both in the mood for Japanese tonight--so we went to Ebisu. When we got there, one of the specials was Kobe beef! And for $25, at that! I couldn't believe it--I'd always believed Kobe beef extremely expensive--on the order of $100 a pound. I asked, and the waitress maintained that it was, indeed, Kobe beef. I just had to go for it. I had no idea what the result would be. The worst cut of the best beef in the world? A piece the size of a postage stamp? A regular steak prepared in some strange "Kobe style" recipe? Who knew?

The steak was small, but not unreasonably small--with the other normal meal items, it was enough to satisfy me, though I wasn't extremely hungry when we had dinner. The presentation, though, was strange--the teriyaki sauce was served on the side, the steak was served on a bed of some kind of brown noodles (which made it look more substantial), and was garnished so heavily it was hard to judge its flavor--spinach leaves, lots of scallions, and a lot of pepper. It was, however, a very tender piece of meat. Despite the unusual presentation for steak teriyaki, it was excellent.

I tried a piece of my dad's sukiyaki, and had some sushi as an appetizer and a bowl of miso soup--all of that was first rate. As for the Kobe beef, it was very good, but if it was the best steak in the world, then being frozen for the 8000 mile trip from Kobe must have taken something out of it. Still, we'll probably go back to that restaurant next time we're down here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home