Thursday, July 10, 2008

Finding different roots than expected

I've been bad about blogging about my trip. I've been away nearly two weeks on the railroad tour of Colorado/Mensa AG, and this is my first blog.

Today was a sightseeing day in Colorado Springs. This afternoon, I saw the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds, and Garden of the Gods. Before dinner this evening, my dad and I tried to find the location of Freedom School, where my parents met in 1962. We took off following the directions in a Gazette article online, and weren't convinced we were on the right track. So, we went back to Palmer Lake, and stopped in the Depot restaurant. They provided directions to a school we passed before. We took another look up (the school was founded in 1927, so if they took over Freedom School's property, they did so late in their history), snapped a picture, and left again.

Since they had been helpful and were convenient (and train themed), we ate at the Depot. In the "too appropriate for words" category, the picture on the wall across from our booth was of the Hopewell station--as in the Hopewell, NJ where we lived in the early '80s. I wouldn't have expected another bit of my past to show up on this side trip!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home