Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hanging around with lanyards...

OK--question for all my readers: how do you define the word "lanyard?"

Somewhere, I'd heard that "lanyard" was a term for a badge that hangs from the neck. The "badge-holder"--as the convention organizers called it--seemed to fit my understanding of he term perfectly. The thing in question is a pouch, the front pocket designed with a window designed to display your name tag; the whole thing is worn dangling from your neck by a cord.

I noticed that no one else was using that term, and it made me wonder whether I might be misusing the term. Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary--my usual online source for definitions--says that the term might apply to the cord holding the badge-holder, but not the whole badge-holder (cord included) itself. Another free online dictionary and Wikipedia both also back up this idea--though the former it was less certain that the term could be applied to the badge-holder's cord. (The definitions are consistent that it's a term for the cord suspending a knife or whistle.)

So, my questions for the Internet is simply these: Has anyone else used/heard he term "lanyard" (or "laniard," as it sometimes seems to be spelled) applied to a hanging badge/name tag? Also, is there a better term for such an object than "badge-holder?"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home