Monday, February 06, 2006

TV - Super Bowl ads


On the whole, I thought the commercials this year were a disappointment. Looking at the webpage about Super Bowl ads, I have zero recollection of several of the ads there. Some ads, like Overstock.com's, Burger King's, and the five-blade razor were ho-hum. (Some time ago, I saw a comedy clip somewhere of a 20-blade razor. It must have been before they started making four-blade models, since those made me think of that skit, also.)

The first ad that sticks out in my mind was a Sierra Mist ad where TSA agents confiscate an air passenger's soda--it just annoyed me.

The Bud Light "Magic Fridge" commercial was funny. That was one of the best.

The FedEx "caveman" commercial was well done on a technical standpoint, but it just didn't resonate with me. I don't care that it has been getting a lot of praise elsewhere--it just didn't grab me.

The Aleve commercial with Leonard Nimoy was decent--I don't think it was as funny as the advertiser thought, though. Still, as a moderate Trekkie with gout, it appealed to me.

The one immediately following that--"Don't judge too quickly" with the doctors was amusing--but I didn't catch who it was for. If you don't know who the commercial was for right after it--that means it wasn't too effective. (The second Ameriquest commercial clarified who the first one was for, but I think the company name is really too low-key in that series.)

My dad and I agreed that our favorite commercial to that point in the game was the "horses-playing-football streaker" ad--an assessment I'd agree with. That was another highlight.

Someone should tell the The Dove Self-Esteem Fund that not everyone has bought a digital or HDTV yet, and it's kinda annoying to only have half a sentence appear on the screen. Ditto for the Michelob Light Amber beer and Ameriquest.

I liked the "I won't tell if you won't" with the young Clydesdale. That was a nice commercial--and a funny one, too. If I had to pick a best commercial from this year, that would get the nod from me. My dad is also in agreement on this commercial being the best. Too bad neither of us touch beer.

I also liked the Honda "mudflap" commercial (the one where the silver "naked" lady and Yosemite Sam go off together in the truck). I've heard no one else talking about that one--but that was one of the better commercials. Probably my favorite after the three Bud / Bud Light commercials I liked.

As a final aside, the highlight of the geriatric rockers' (so dubbed by my mom) performance was the comment about "Satisfaction," "This one, we could have done at Super Bowl I." I like much of the Stones' music, but the show was lousy. It just fell flat.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home